+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the word on Century Link's Prism TV service?

Default What's the word on Century Link's Prism TV service?

I'm trying to see if it's worth switching or not, I currently have Dish Network. I could save about $300 over 6 months (after that the price would be about what I'm paying now), and I think I'd have a few extra channels, if I switched to Prism, but I have no idea what it's like. DVR user interface (can't be much worse than dish's), quality of HD, setup, etc.

Anyone have any input?
    Last edited by oakback; 07-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.

I switch from Comcast for internet and Directv for tv and am happy. I was only getting 1meg downloads from Comcast, despite being right down the street from them. I got the fastest internet CL offers and the highest tv package. Even after the promotional period ends, I'll be paying less than I was for Comcast and Directv. Internet is fast and wireless, tv picture is clear and sharp.

Captain Insano shows no mercy.
    07 Tahoe

Thanks for the input! How do they run lines to the TVs? I have 4 that I'd like service to, do they use the coax in the house, or phone lines, or run new lines? I hate the idea of running new lines.

Platinum Member Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Taco Tom is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps!

I tried to get Prism and internet via CL, but my house doesn't have fiber optic cable laid down yet, so I was only able to get 1.5 Mb/s internet speed and I said fuck the cable. Damn you outdated copper wiring for telephones!

So I went with CL for the internet anyway. Costs $35 a month. If you do end up going with Prism, let me know how that goes for you because I won't be staying in this house forever.

Uranium Member Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77's Avatar

I just switched over to them from Comcast. Cut the cost of service in half, roughly. One step up from basic-cable level Prism and the top-end 10mbps interwebs. It took them 8 days to show up for the install, several missed appointments, and major flails from the customer "service" group. But, it's cheaper and they gave me 2 x $50 dollar credits and also a $150 amex gift card. I don't watch much T.V. so once the 6 month deal expires on that, I'm done with their T.V. service. My package doesn't even include Speed but it has about 180 other trash channels.

The lines are run via an ethernet jack, which then converts the signal via the modem/router into a coax band. Or, you can just HDMI it. The internet is pretty bitchin'. For upstairs rooms, they have this device that plugs into a power outlet, and then has an ethernet jack from there and it picks it up.

2001 Mustang GT - 265rwhp, 299rwtq
    without the juice, 13.1 @ 105, 1.81 60'
    with the juice, super secret ET

Administrator Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Turbonium's Avatar

I've been thinking about it since I switched to Century Link for the internet. Might have to make some phone calls.
    2000 Jeep Cherokee SOLD.
    2005 VW Jetta GLI. SOLD.
    2005 Chevrolet Silverdo Z71.

They used the coax for the tv in the family room, the tv in the bedroom has an ethernet cable to the modem. Modem is connected to coax and phone line.

07 Tahoe

Uranium Member Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Stark77's Avatar

I can post a speedtest when I get home. The DL speeds are right on par at like 9.7mpbs, but the upload was just a hair over 1mbps. I do a lot of PC gaming - a lot - and my ping usually stays in the 25-45 range. This ensures maximum PPH, or pwns per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark77 View Post
    ...converts the signal via the modem/router into a coax band
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kulbick View Post
    They used the coax for the tv in the family room,
    Good to know, I have TVs on 3 levels of my house, I dread running any kind of new wire.

I think I'm going to go for this, if I can convince the wife it's worth the hassle of having the installation done and learning a new channel lineup.

Installation was about an hour or so, because the guy had to drill through a wall to use a phone box closer to the computer instead of running a line along the floor and around a door frame.

07 Tahoe

BBR Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Primer Jon's Avatar

Beside Greg, another friend of mine in Wakulla got it and says it's awesome. I've heard nothing but good things. How far away from an Embarq hub are you?

| A Section 8 PAC-man |

Apprentice TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER's Avatar

I've been interested in this as well. I'll give them a call soon and see what they can do for me. Anything is better than comcast.

KOTS w/o a race Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7 is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! Willjs7's Avatar

I am interested as well. They say on the site that I can get 4mb a second.. I get 10down/2up now with comcast, and pay out the ass for tv and internet.

How is the local tv? Do you get the local stations? Just asking for out of market football games that are on raycom instead of the espn/abc etc...

HATE HATE HATE Comcast.

...edit...

Pricing doesnt seem that good... 151.95 a month for premium internet and tv service plus 12$ for HD Service?
    Last edited by Willjs7; 07-21-2011 at 06:51 PM.

R.I.P. Abel "Abe" Lincoln (1986-2005)

I just signed up for the Premium package, HD, all the channels, 10mb internet. They're supposed to install next Wednesday, we'll see how this goes.

After 6 months when the price goes up a bit, I might switch to the lesser package and remove on the HBO/showtime/etc. channels.

Care to wager a pack of Marlboro's on your install date?

+ Reply to Thread